Commercial EPCs

We can perform Commercial EPC’s in Scotland and England and one of the business owners will always attend site to carry out the survey. We do not use data collectors and you always get a qualified Energy Surveyor starting and completing the task.

Some of our more forward thinking clients also tie the Commercial EPC into an Energy Audit.

Pricing starts from £125.00 for Commercial EPC’s


Residential EPC’s

EPC’s for rental properties, Feed In Tariff Qualification and Energy Audit are the main areas we cover in the residential EPC markets. Many of our clients then use our services and allow us to help complete paperwork for Grant Applications, RHI Funding and Green Homes Scheme. Our landlords and lettings Agents also use us to apply for Grants to improve their boilers and lighting, along with insulation. They now also benefit from Grants for Domestic White Goods which again for a small additional fee we can complete the paperwork for.


SBEM Calculations

SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model) is the method Building Control use to assess whether a new build commercial or proposed new build commercial meets the current building regulations. We can complete a simple Sbem calculation to see if your building meets the standard or in addition to this we can carry out a building services design programme in order to ensure your building meets the requirements.


SAP Calculations

We can carry out both uncertified SAP calculations or certified SAP calculations depending on your requirements. This service is currently only available to our Scottish clients.

Please Contact Us for more details.


Energy Efficiency Grants Advice

In addition to completing your EPC we can also provide information on Grants available for the improvements your Home or Business might benefit from most. This can include heating products, insulation, renewable technology and a range of other products.


RHI & FIT Advice

We can recommend which improvements to make to your home to make it more energy efficient and to maximise the potentials of RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) or FIT’s (Feed In Tariffs).


Energy Audits

Our Energy Audit service goes much further than a simple EPC and is primarily designed for Home Owners and Tenants who wish to reduce their consumption and bills as much as possible. We look in far greater depth than simple building improvements and consider items such as lifestyle, heating and hot water controls, domestic goods and a range of other products and advice to reduce your bills. We can also help advise of the best tariffs from a range of energy suppliers based on your own personal needs and circumstances.

Generally we can help reduce bills by around 20% – 30% (depending on construction and current supplier)

Note – We do not carry out the sale or supply of any Energy Efficiency products, nor are we tied in to any companies which might offer these services. Davidson Property Services is an independent company and shall always remain that way.

You can trust us to give you the best independent advice possible.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

Buildings when constructed, sold or rented out, including homes, public sector buildings and business premises will require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
The EPC will give owners better information about the carbon dioxide emissions from their buildings. For example, every new home in Scotland will require a certificate when it is constructed and every existing home will need one when it is sold or rented. They include simple cost-effective home improvement measures that will help save energy, reduce bills and cut carbon dioxide emissions.

Category Date of Introduction
Sale – dwellings requiring a Home Report* 1 December 2008
Sale – all other buildings 4 January 2009
Rental 4 January 2009
Public buildings Must be on display by 4 January 2009

* the EPC will be provided with the Single Survey issues as part of the home report

Home Report

Information on the Home Report can be accessed here

The Energy Performance of Buildings (Scotland) Regulations 2008

The Energy Performance of Buildings (Scotland) Regulations 2008 can be accessed here.

Guidance to the Energy Performance of Buildings (Scotland) Regulations 2008 can be accessed here.

Who can Produce an EPC?

DPS Eco have exceeded the Scottish Protocol and are able to produce EP certificates for the following sectors:

Domestic EPC
Commercial EPC
Domestic EPC for new build
Commercial EPC for new build
Commercial EPC for the purposes of display in public buildings

In Scotland, The Scottish Government has entered into protocol with professional organisations/institutions whose members already have an understanding of the building/energy sectors. Only members of protocol organisations may produce EPCs for existing buildings. issues/epcprotocols.htm

Types of Certificate

Two certificates have been produced, one for dwellings and one for all other buildings (commercial & industrial) this includes ‘Public Buildings’.

Public Buildings

In order to be considered a Public Building, the building must meet all of the criteria outlined in Section 6.9 of the Technical Handbooks.

EPC Guidance Leaflets

Guidance leaflets on various aspects of EPC can be accessed here. EPC frequently asked questions can be accessed here.

Energy Performance Certificates

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives home/business owners, tenants and buyers information on the energy efficiency of their property. It gives the building a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and with the average to date being D.

What else does the certificate do?

EPCs are measured using the same calculations for all homes, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.
Part of the EPC is a report which will list the potential rating that your home could achieve, if you made the recommended changes. The report lists:

suggested improvements (such as fitting loft insulation)
the approximate cost
possible cost savings per year if the improvements are made
how this would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property

You can use this information to:

cut your fuel bills
improve energy performance in your home
help cut carbon emissions
help you choose a more energy efficient home to rent or buy
help you choose a more energy efficient building to run your business from

You do not have to act on the recommendations contained in the recommendation report. However, if you decide to do so, then it could make your property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.

For more information on saving energy and eligibility for energy efficiency grants, follow the link below.

Energy and water saving (environment and greener living section)

Does everyone need an EPC?

The EPC is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent. This applies to both Domestic & Non Domestic properties. Properties described as “Public Buildings” in Scotland will have to have certificate produced for display purposes. In England a DEC (display energy certificate) must be used for public buildings.

Sellers or buyers of homes

All sellers of homes need to ensure that they provide a Home Information Pack which includes an EPC for potential buyers. An EPC must be made available to a potential homebuyer – free of charge.


An EPC needs to be provided to buyers of newly built properties.


If you are a landlord, you’ll need to make an EPC available to prospective tenants the first time you let a home after 1 October 2008. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years. An EPC isn’t required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities.


If you are interested in renting a property then an EPC must be made available to you free of charge. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years.
If you are a prospective tenant, an EPC isn’t required when you rent a room and share facilities.

If you are not in one of the above categories

Even if you do not fall into the above categories, you can still apply for and receive an EPC. This may be because you want to know what the energy efficiency of your home is and implement improvements suggested by the recommendation report.
To find out more about what an EPC contains, follow the link below.

What an Energy Performance Certificate for a home contains

Will EPCs be needed across the UK?

Yes, although the criteria for producing a certificate is different in Scotland than that of England. DPS Eco has the ability to produce all certificates except the DEC certificate required in England for Public Buildings.

Devolved administrations in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

How do you get an EPC?

EPCs can only be produced as a result of a survey by an ‘accredited’ Domestic Energy Assessor or for non domestic properties by a Commercial or Non Domestic Energy Assessor.

BE AWARE – There are a number of companies that claim to be approved to produce these certificates but do not have the relevant qualification to meet with the protocol in the Scottish market. If in doubt check!

EPCs are used to collect standard information on the property – for example, its size and hot water/heating systems. The information is then fed into a government-approved software programme which produces the EPC.

How much will it cost?

The price of an EPC is set by the accredited organisations which issue them. When you obtain a Home Information/ Single Survey Pack, the overall cost should include that of an EPC.


If you apply for an EPC on its own then the cost for an average house is approximately £100.

Non Domestic

The cost of a non domestic certificate can vary hugely dependant on the size, construction and equipment within the building. Please contact us to discuss in more detail. Free site visits can often be arranged to assess the cost prior to the certificate being produced. Email – for more details

How long will it take to get one?


Obtaining an EPC for an average sized home is likely to take the same time as a house valuation report which has to be prepared when a property is put up for sale. The exact time will vary from property to property.

Non Domestic

An EPC for small commercial units and premises without air conditioning should take not much longer to produce than that of a domestic survey. The length of the survey itself will however be much longer. For larger properties and properties with air conditioning and plant rooms the information required for the production of the certificates takes much longer. We generally require 7 days notice to carry these out and produce the final certificate.

Public buildings

Certain public buildings must have a Display Energy Certificate (DEC) which contains similar information to an EPC, to enable visitors and users of the building to see its energy efficiency rating. The DEC is not required for Scotland and an EPC for the purposes of display is offered instead.

EPCs for business and non domestic premises

From October 2008, owners of all commercial buildings also have to provide an EPC when they buy, sell or let commercial premises.

Copyright 2015 DPSeco | All Rights Reserved | Designed & hosted by Blue Lagoon Designs